Crispy calamari, fresh red onion and creamy remoulade come together in this delicious fried calamari sub. Serve with baby kale for a sandwich packed with flavor and texture.
Fried Calamari Sub
Yield: 4 sandwiches
For the Remoulade:
1 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup Cornichons, finely chopped
1/4 cup spicy brown mustard
1 tablespoons ketchup
3 scallions, thinly sliced
1 tablespoon hot sauce (tabasco)
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
For the Calamari:
2 cups AP flour
1/2 teaspoon cayenne
1 cup buttermilk
1 lb cleaned calamari rings
Canola or vegetable oil, for frying
4 demi baguettes or hoagie rolls
1 cup lightly packed baby kale
1/2 red onion, halved and thinly sliced
1) Start by making the remoulade sauce. Stir together all of the ingredients in a medium bowl until thoroughly combined. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until the sandwiches are ready to be assembled.
2) Next, prepare the calamari. Fill a heavy bottomed pot with 2 inches of canola or vegetable and preheat it to 375 degrees F.
3) In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cayenne and 1 teaspoon of salt until combined. Pour the buttermilk into another medium bowl. To bread the calamari, dredge a few rings in the flour mixture. Shake off any excess flour and submerge the rings in the buttermilk. Return the rings to the flour mixture and toss to evenly coat. Continue to bread the rings until they are all coated in buttermilk and flour.
4) Working in batches, fry the coated calamari rings until the exterior is golden brown and the calamari is tender, about 3 minutes. Use a spider or slotted spoon to transfer the rings to a paper towel-lined plate, and immediately season with a pinch of salt.
5) To assemble the sandwiches, spread some of the remoulade sauce on both the bottom and top of each baguette or hoagie roll. Lay about 1/4 cup of the baby kale on the bottom, then with the sliced onion and fried calamari. Slice in half and serve with extra remoulade sauce on the side for dipping.