Creamy spinach and tender potatoes are the perfect combination that you probably never considered before. Plus, the addition of salty parmesan cheese really makes this recipe come to life. Top with extra grated parm for an over-the-top side dish you can pair with almost any meal.
Baked Potato with Creamed Spinach and Parm
Yield: 4 potatoes
4 large Idaho potatoes
1/4 cup canola oil
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
3 cloves garlic, minced
10 ounces (about 8 cups) baby spinach
Freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup grated parmesan, plus more for topping
1) Preheat an oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. While the oven is heating, wash and dry the potatoes and transfer to a large plate.
2) Use a fork to poke holes all around the potatoes, then rub each potato with canola oil and sprinkle generously with kosher salt.
3) Place the seasoned potatoes directly on the oven rack and place a baking sheet underneath to catch any drippings. Bake until the skin is crisp and the potatoes are tender when pierced with a paring knife, about 1 hour.
4) While the potatoes are cooking, melt the butter in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Once melted, add the garlic and stir until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the spinach a little a time until all has been included and wilted, about 3 minutes. Season with 1 teaspoon of kosher salt, a few grinds of black pepper, the heavy cream and grated parmesan and stir to combine. Keep warm.
5) Once the potatoes are finished baking, transfer to a serving platter and cut open with a paring knife. Spoon the creamed spinach into each potato and top with more grated parmesan. Serve immediately.