If you’re looking for a classic made-from-scratch macaroni and cheese recipe, then this is the one for you. This recipe is the perfect size for a family of four, but if you want to prepare this recipe for a larger number of people, it can easily be doubled to fit a 9 by 13 inch pan.
Classic Macaroni and Cheese
Yield: 9 x 9 inch baking dish, serves 4 to 6
1/2 lb fusilli corti bucati
1 teaspoon kosher salt plus more for seasoning the pasta water
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/4 cup AP flour
2 cups whole milk
8 ounces (about 4 cups) shredded cheddar cheese
1/4 cup panko bread crumbs
Freshly ground black pepper
1) Preheat an oven to 375 degrees F.
2) Bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat. Season the water generously with salt. Once the water is boiling, cook the pasta until al dente, about 12 minutes. Drain and set aside.
3) While the pasta is cooking, melt 3 tablespoons of butter in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Once melted, add the flour and whisk continually until the mixture thickens and the raw flour flavor cooks out, about 1 minute. Pour in the milk and continue to whisk until the mixture thickens, about 4 minutes. Reduce the temperature to low and stir in the cheese until smooth. Season with 1 teaspoon of salt and a few grinds of freshly ground black pepper. Add the cooked pasta to the cheese sauce and stir to combine.
4) Melt the remaining tablespoon of butter in a small bowl and mix well with the bread crumbs. Set aside.
5) Transfer the macaroni and cheese to a 9 by 9 inch baking dish and sprinkle with the buttered bread crumbs. Bake in the oven until the bread crumbs are golden brown and the cheese is bubbling, about 30 minutes.